Transportation Engineer / Modeling and Analysis Intern
JOB DESCRIPTION: DVRPC is the Metropolitan Planning Organization of the Greater Philadelphia region with a population of 5.5 million. DVRPC’s Office of Modeling and Analysis maintains and applies computer models that are used to forecast future land use and future travel volumes on road, rail, and bus. The forecasts are used to evaluate the impacts and benefits of regional policies and transportation investments. The intern will assist in various tasks in the context of maintaining and applying these computer models. This kind of work requires good computer skills, an affinity to quantitative methods, and a strong interest in transportation.
· Assists in the development, calibration, validation and application of transportation and land use models.
· Processes and analyzes data, including socio-economic and demographic data, geographic information, transit schedules, network data, traffic control information, traffic counts and surveys.
· Prepares input data for simulation models; codes transportation network data; tabulates and visualizes model outputs and compares results with actual current and historical data.
· Contributes text, tables, and graphics to various technical reports.
· Strong interest in transportation planning and transportation policies.
· Proven record in the application of quantitative methods.
· Strong computer skills in areas such as data analysis, spreadsheet and database software, programming in a language like Python or VBA, geographic information systems (GIS).
· Specific knowledge in one of the following areas is a plus: travel demand modeling, traffic micro-simulation, highway capacity analysis, emergency evacuation planning. Also appreciated is experience with DVRPC’s preferred software tools: ArcGIS, Excel, Access, VISUM, VISSIM, SYNCHRO.
· Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
AVAILABILITY: This position requires a commitment of 37.5 hours per week.
Ideal start date - April 2012.
COMPENSATION: Work study; or paid at rates commensurate with level of education and skills.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & TRAINING: Must have completed at least THREE YEARS of a college/university program or be enrolled in a master's program (preferred), or an equivalent combination of experience and training, plus substantial interest or involvement in transportation engineering and planning.
TO APPLY: Forward a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
DVRPC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Full consideration will be given to all eligible, qualified applicants without regards to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, lawful political affiliations, disability or marital status. Minority and disabled applicants are encouraged to apply.