The Public Interest Law Center of Philadelphia is looking for an intern to help with Grounded in Philly and the Garden Justice Legal Initiative.
This intern will support projects and campaigns aimed at ensuring that community farmers and gardeners in Philadelphia have the resources and tools they need to preserve their individual farms and gardens, and supporting movement building, self advocacy, and informed leadership to effect equitable and meaningful reforms needed for community land and food security and sovereignty at the neighborhood, city, and state levels.
Specific Responsibilities will include:
1. Promote, maintain, and use Grounded in Philly (www.groundedinphilly.org) to help individuals and groups in Philadelphia identify, organize around and access publicly- and privately-owned vacant land in Philadelphia, as well as provide information about pathways to protect land for Philadelphia groups that are already land stewards
2. Work with neighborhood-based and youth partner organizations to interview gardeners and farmers on challenges and resource needs, and providing information on opportunities for advocacy and network building
3. Help with preparation and day-of activities related to our next regional event on October 26th. Growing Healthy Communities: A Prescription for Better Health - http://growinghealthy.eventbrite.com/
1. Strong computer skills
2. Strong interpersonal skills
3. Reliable and able to work independently
4. Strong interest in urban agriculture, community gardens, and/or land and food sovereignty
5. Strong writing and communication skills
6. Bi-lingual (English, Spanish) preferred, though not required
7. Experience with urban farming a plus, though not required
1. Start date immediately
2. Schedule is flexible: 1 day per week minimum, up to 5 days per week.
3. 2 month commitment minimum, though very open to longer commitments.
Please direct all questions, cover letters and resumes to Owen Taylor, Garden Justice Legal Initiative, Public Interest Law Center of Philadelphia, United Way Building, Second Floor, 1709 Ben Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia, PA 19103, 267-546-1304, firstname.lastname@example.org