Cross County Connection is a non-profit Transportation Management Association, providing a broad range of services to residents, employers, employees and municipal and county governments in southern NJ. Cross County Connection's service area includes the counties of Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester and Salem. Cross County Connection's mission is to improve the quality of life in southern New Jersey through transportation solutions". This mission is accomplished by facilitating the use of commute alternatives, such as carpooling, public transit, bicycling and walking.
The primary responsibility of the Research Assistant is to provide support to technical staff working on
transportation planning projects by providing qualitative and quantitative research; outreach efforts; written
and verbal communications; production of reports; attendance at meetings and events and field work. Job
responsibilities will vary depending upon annual work programs, and currently include the following:
Safe Routes to School Program--- SRTS program provides educational assistance and guidance to schools with grades kindergarten through 8th grade which are trying to increase the number of students bicycling/walking
to school. Responsibilities may include:
- Contacting schools, school boards and others to inform them of the SRTS program and encourage their participation.
- Meetings with interested schools and others to provide information about the SRTS Program and the assistance provided by Cross County Connection.
- Coordinating and participating in bicycling and walking events, such as walking school buses, bike rodeos, community events and other activities.
- Conducting field work to gather data for School Travel Plans.
- Evaluating existing school programs and means by which children commute to school.
- Writing articles for SRTS newsletter and other publications.
- Providing Customer Service to the general public by responding to telephone and e-mail requests for information regarding ridesharing (carpooling, vanpooling, public transit).
- Researching appropriate transit services.
- Providing carpool/vanpool matching support.
- Attending transportation-related events at worksites and community/public locations.
- Analyzing ridership data.
- Conducting on-board transit surveys and analyzing responses.
- Identifying employers located along shuttle routes.
- Distributing marketing materials along shuttle routes.
- Inventorying existing and proposed bicycle and pedestrian facilities by conducting field work with GPS equipment.
- Demographic research, including generation of tables, charts graphs and written analysis.
- Degree in Urban Studies, Planning, Sociology or related fields
- One to two years of relevant work experience or equivalent internships
- Strong skills in quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Proficiency with Word, Excel (including graphs and charts) and PowerPoint
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting
- Background check required to work with school children at SRTS events
- Valid driver's license and reliable vehicle required (mileage reimbursement provided).
Salary and Benefits:
Cross County Connection offers a competitive salary based on qualifications and an excellent benefits package,
including medical insurance, retirement plan and paid leave.
To Apply: Submit cover letter and resume via e-mail to:
Ronda R. Urkowitz, P.P., AICP
Cross County Connection
4A Eves Drive, Suite 114
Marlton, NJ 08053